TDK extends ultrasonic ToF sensor platform for long-range up to 5m
- The new CH201 Time-of-Flight (ToF) range sensor platform expands on the CH101 product portfolio, and includes CH201 MEMS sensors, sensor modules, and developer kits, all currently available through worldwide distribution.
- Extends accurate range measurements for distances up to 5m over a wide and configurable Field-of-View (FoV) in any lighting condition.
- Integrates a PMUT (Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer) with an ultra-low-power SoC (system on chip) in a miniature 3.5 x 3.5 mm re-flowable system-in-package
October 1, 2020
TDK Corporation (TSE: 6762) announces the worldwide availability of the Chirp CH201 long-range ultra-low-power integrated ultrasonic Time-of-Flight (ToF) range sensor platform. The solution includes the CH201 MEMS sensor, sensor modules, and developer kits – and accompanies Chirp’s original CH101 ultrasonic ToF sensor product.
CH101 provides accurate range measurements for use cases scenarios of up to 1.2m, and the new CH201 builds to provide exact long-range measurements to targets at distances up to 5m. Chirp’s MEMS ultrasonic technologies leverage proprietary Time-of-Flight (ToF) range sensors in a 3.5 mm x 3.5 mm package that combines a MEMS ultrasonic transducer with a power-efficient digital signal processor (DSP) on a low-power mixed-signal ASIC.
Following on CH101 as the first commercially available MEMS-based ultrasonic ToF sensor, CH201 is also ultra-low power and compact, provides millimeter-accurate range measurements and works in any lighting condition, including full sunlight to complete darkness independent of the target’s color and optical transparency. Match-ing CH101, the CH201 has a configurable Field-of-View (FoV) and a flexible DSP capable of handling a variety of ultrasonic signal-processing algorithms.
The CH201 platform mirrors the flexibility of the CH101, offering flexible industrial design options for a broad range of use-case scenarios, including range-finding, presence/proximity sensing, and object-detection/avoidance.
CH201 sensor platform solution:
- The CH201 MEMS sensor provides accurate range measurements to targets up to 5m away.
- Using ultrasonic time-of-flight measurements, the sensor works in any lighting condition, including full sunlight, and provides millimeter-level accuracy, inde-pendent of the target’s color and optical transparency.
- Developer Kit for prototyping with one or more ToF sensors. The DK-CH201 includes one CH201 with the option to add up to four additional ultrasonic modules.
- Easy-to-use module for rapid integration and evaluation of hardware designs. Different acoustic housings available to adjust the field of view.
In a free downloadable white paper, TDK describes how tracking-solution providers can use Chirp’s ultrasonic time-of-flight technology to measure when users come into contact and notify those who may have been exposed to SARS-COV-2 when an infection does occur. Chirp provides a complete sensor API and reference design to make it easy for solution providers to quickly incorporate ultrasonic range-finding technology into their tracking solutions. The complete hardware and software reference design combines Chirp ultrasonic solutions along with a BLE-enabled MCU, for a complete social distancing solution including contact tracing. Learn more: https://invensense.tdk.com/social-distancing/
- ToF: Time of Flight
- FoV: Field of View
- IMU: Inertial Measurement Unit
- EV: Evaluation module
- DK: Developer Kit
- DSP: Digital Signal Processor
- MEMS: Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems
- User presence in home/building automation and personal electronics
- Obstacle avoidance
- Robotics and drones
- Ultra-low power remote presence-sensing nodes
- Augmented/Virtual reality and gaming
- Gesture control
- Liquid level sensing & shelf inventory monitoring
Main features and benefits
- Ultra-low power
- Works in any lighting condition
- Detects objects of any color and optical transparency
- Customizable field of view (FoV) up to 180°
- Integrated 3.5mm x 3.5mm x 1.26mm Package
- Low-power SoC firmware for ultrasonic processing a wide-range of usage cases
Pricing and Availability
The all-in-one sensor platform solution is now available from multiple distributors worldwide. For additional information and collateral, please visit https://invensense.tdk.com/technology/ultrasonic/. Pricing and availability info via email: email@example.com.
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products.
TDK’s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda.
TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2020, TDK posted total sales of USD 12.5 billion and employed about 107,000 people worldwide.
About Chirp Microsystems
Chirp Microsystems is bringing ultrasonics to everyday products. Founded in 2013 based on pioneering research performed at the University of California, Chirp’s piezoelectric MEMS ultrasonic transducers offer long range and low power in a tiny package, enabling products that accurately perceive the three-dimensional world in which we live. Combined with Chirp’s embedded software library, these sensors advance user experiences with VR/AR, wearables, robotics, drones and occupancy detection. For more information, please visit: https://www.chirpmicro.com/.
|TDK extends ultrasonic ToF sensor platform for long-range up to 5m||986.88 KB|
|TDK extends ultrasonic ToF sensor platform for long-range up to 5m||249.12 KB|